Removing default build of gcc

David Chisnall theraven at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 25 08:41:17 UTC 2013

Hi All,

In 10.0, the plan is not to ship any GPL'd code, so I'd like to start disconnecting things from the default build, starting with gcc.  I've been running a gcc-free system for a while, and I think all of the ports that don't build with clang are now explicitly depending on gcc.  Does anyone have strong opinions on when would be a good time for head on x86 and x86-64 to default to not building gcc?

David