[Patch] C1X threading support

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Dec 20 10:09:25 UTC 2011

In message <4EF059DC.26433.B55D8036 at s_sourceforge.nedprod.com>, "Niall Douglas"
 writes:
>On 19 Dec 2011 at 17:31, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
>> > Obviously, had we known that from the beginning, things would have
>> > been done differently. However, there was - in hindsight - a lack of
>> > realisation just how expensive any significant changes would appear
>> > to vendors.
>>
>> And why on earth would the thought of having a threading API
>> significantly different from the POSIX API even be on the
>> table?  It boggles the mind.
>
>1. Because [...]

Nice and fine.

But can you explain, why the job is done so half-assedly ?

Why are fundamentally and necessary programming tools, such as a
"assert this mutex is held" missing ?

Why are timescale-issues not dealt with ?

For instance mtx_timedlock() operates only on the UTC scale.  Where
is the option to wait on an "elapsed time" timescale to not be hosed
by ntpd(8) or root's setting the clock backwards during system
startup ?

Where did the ability to control a threads stacksize or other
attributes go in thrd_create() ?