[Patch] C1X threading support

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Tue Dec 20 09:48:13 UTC 2011

On 19 Dec 2011 at 17:31, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > Obviously, had we known that from the beginning, things would have
> > been done differently. However, there was - in hindsight - a lack of
> > realisation just how expensive any significant changes would appear
> > to vendors.
>
> And why on earth would the thought of having a threading API
> significantly different from the POSIX API even be on the
> table?  It boggles the mind.

1. Because POSIX threads is known to have weaknesses in its design
e.g. signal handling. These BTW have been fixed in C1X and there are
some significant departures from the POSIX API wherever pthreads was
just plain broke. Some of these departures may - on some platforms -
require rejigging the internal kernel/userspace boundary. Before you
ask, no I don't know what these are, it isn't my area of expertise.

2. Because pthreads were designed a long time ago in a world where
threading was simpler and likely core count was lower. There are more
use models now, and originally it was thought that incorporating some
elements of newer threading models would be wise. Bear in mind that
C1X - unlike POSIX - has to incorporate EVERY kind of computing
system thinkable. C1X needs to run - without major baggage - on
everything from tiny, OSless systems right up to thousand CPU core
highly proprietary systems. And it must do this while staying as
backward compatible with legacy systems as possible.

3. Because pthreads is not the only major threading implementation
out there. The NT/OS/2 model is hugely popular if fundamentally
anti-scalable in design and pthreads don't map exactly one to one
with them. For example, thread cancellation is completely missing
from C1X as it would require significant kernel rewriting on NT, so
it got chopped completely. It had been hoped we could come up with
something which worked around the lack of thread cancellation, but we
didn't make it in time. It'll be TR1 before we nail the corner cases.
Right now, there are quite a few places where under the C1X API the
program will just hang if things go wrong and there is no legal way
out at all. That is unfortunate, but as always it's a question of
resourcing and time. Most people's employers don't see how investing
in standards work improves their bottom line, so a lot of the grunt
work is goodwill and hobby time.

4. Because POSIX does evolve over time - indeed, its next release is
same year as C1X (i.e. next year). People sit on both ISO committees
and are on the Austin Working Group. There is significant
cross-pollination. The changes in C1X are highly likely to become
normalised in the next iteration of POSIX. So think of this way, the
departures from POSIX in C1X were mostly intended as departures by
POSIX from POSIX next iteration anyway.

Niall

--
Technology & Consulting Services - ned Productions Limited.
http://www.nedproductions.biz/. VAT reg: IE 9708311Q. Company no: