Apache-worker stuck at 100% CPU

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 12 17:15:55 UTC 2008

* Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> [080912 04:09] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running apache2.2.9-worker without mod_php (with mod_fcgid and PHP
> as FastCGI) and a process or a thread repeatedly gets stuck:
>
>   PID USERNAME  THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
>  5503 www        41  96    0 50820K 30960K umtxn  0 722:42 99.32% httpd
>
> It doesn't use sys time and ktrace doesn't record anything.
>
> Any clues where to dig next?
>
> I'm not using any unusual modules for apache, and the same configuration
> worked in 6.3 (this system was upgraded from 6.3 to 7.0-R - I checked
> that all apache dependancies are compiled for 7.0).

Try using "pstack" a few times.  It's in ports.

Also, gcore(1) might help.

You can also try to attach using gdb.

Basically, one of these tools should give you a stack trace which
can help.

It's interesting that the process is in "umtxn" though, is it
multithreaded apache?  Can you dump the threads?  I think top(1)
has an option to view each thread, how about trying that?

thank you,
-Alfred