Renaming our threads libs

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 26 06:15:14 PDT 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:53:07PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>> The current situation only makes sense to those that have been
>>> watching the deal from day one, in "user land" confusion reigns
>>> and we're punishing those that choose our platform but letting
>>> it continue.
>>
>> And when someone has a threading bug, how are we suppose to
>> know which thread library it is in?
>
> Because if they linked with -lpthreads they were using libthr (after its
> repo-copied).  If they say they linked with -lkse - we know that that is.

Asking them how they linked is after the fact and history tells us
that we won't get a accurate answer to this question.

> There is also 'ldd' output.  Only in folks that have been in the thick of
> our thread libs since the day 7.0 was born have the notion that
> libpthread is anything other than what is today called "libthr".
>

>> A simple 'ldd application' works if the thread libraries
>> stay named differently.  And a simple 'ls -l /lib/libpthread*'
>> also works easily.
>

>> I don't see how installing either libthr or libkse as
>> libpthread is going to help.  It's not clear which one is
>> "libpthread" that way.
>
> Its perfectly clear [after a repo-copy rename].

It's not perfectly clear when DEFAULT_THREAD_LIB is anything
other than libthr.  I want -pthread to do the right thing
regardless of which library is DEFAULT_THREAD_LIB, because
-pthread is what we're telling everyone to use (well, it's
what GCC is telling everyone to use).

--
DE