sem_wait as cancellation point

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 7 03:42:55 PDT 2004

Petr Holub <hopet at ics.muni.cz> wrote:
> I wonder why sem_wait is not a pthread cancellation point on
> FreeBSD-5. According to Linux man page:

The Linux man page is totally irrelevant.

Here's what the standards say:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/xsh_chap02_09.html

" Cancellation Points

  Cancellation points shall occur when a thread is executing the following functions:

   accept()          mq_timedsend()           putpmsg()       sigtimedwait()
   getmsg()          pselect()                sem_wait()      waitpid()
   ..."

So it looks like it needs to be a cancellation point, if the thread cancellation
option is fully supported.

So before anyone else says it... "patches welcome".

-- Terry