atf_check() equivalent to test individual shell functions?

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Tue Jul 29 10:37:35 UTC 2014

Julio Merino <jmmv at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 4:30 AM, Fabian Keil
> <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> > Here's another zogftw-related problem.
>
> What's zogftw?

The program I'm writing tests for:
http://www.fabiankeil.de/gehacktes/zogftw/

> > Putting something like this in a test case works as expected:
> >
> > | atf_check -s exit:0 -o empty -e empty $ZOGFTW cmd zogftw_string_ends_with "abc" "c"
>
> What is "$ZOGFTW cmd ..." supposed to be doing?

$ZOGFTW is the path to zogftw ("$(atf_get_srcdir)/../zogftw"),
"cmd" is a subcommand that executes the additional arguments in
the context of zogftw itself.

> > It would be preferably to source zogftw once at the beginning
> > and call the shell function zogftw_string_ends_with() directly
> > afterwards to reduce the overhead, though.
> >
> > The following sort of does this, but the stdout and stderr
> > output isn't verified, it's tedious to write and if nothing
> > fails, the "kyua debug" output isn't particular useful:
> >
> > | . $ZOGFTW source || atf_fail "Failed to source zogftw"
> > |
> > | if ! zogftw_string_ends_with "abc" "c"; then
> > |     atf_fail "Failed to find 'c' at the end of 'abc'"
> > | fi
> >
> > The following also sort of works, but in case of errors the output
> > isn't helpful (because atf_check_equal() doesn't see the actual
> > function) and the stderr output isn't verified either:
> >
> > | . $ZOGFTW source || atf_fail "Failed to source zogftw"
> > |
> > | atf_check_equal $(zogftw_string_ends_with "abc" "c"; echo $?) "0"
>
> Or just:
>
> zogftw_string_ends_with "abc" "c" || atf_fail "abc doesn't end with c"

In which case unexpected stdout output emitted from zogftw_string_ends_with
would not be detected, though.

> > What I'm looking for is something like this:
> >
> > | atf_check_shell_function -s return:0 -o empty -e empty zogftw_string_ends_with "abc" "c"
>
> That could be interesting.
>
> However, note that atf_check currently is just a thin wrapper over the
> atf-check binary and that's the reason why you cannot feed shell
> functions into it. Implementing an atf_check_shell_function would
> involve rewriting atf-check's functionality in libatf-sh.subr.

Indeed, I just wondered if someone had already done it.

> > atf-sh-api(3) doesn't seem to mention anything like it,
> > so I'm wondering how other people are testing individual
> > shell functions?
>
> Take a look at the test programs in here for other ideas:
>
> https://github.com/jmmv/shtk

Will do, thanks.

> The background is that atf-sh has been mostly used for integration
> testing until now so the support for unit-testing shell functions
> hasn't been necessary. I agree that building some would be good.

Great.

Fabian