Best place to learn how to write tests which work under kyua?

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 19:19:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Julio Merino <jmmv at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>

>>> What kind of text would help you most? A step-by-step tutorial maybe?
>>> Big parts of the process may be tied to the build system you use
>>> though, and I only know the BSD build systems and Automake/autoconf...
>>>

>> I need a step-by-step tutorial for how to write a Kyuafile.  I am
>> not going to be using any of the FreeBSD Makefile infrastructure
>> for running tests, so I don't need that info.  I am going to be
>> migrating some existing tests into a form that can be run under kyua,
>> so that I can do: "kyua report-junit".
>>
>> In future, where is the central source for kyua documentation going to
>> live?
>>
>> I see docs are scattered across:
>>

>> http://wiki.netbsd.org/kyua/
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/TestingFreeBSD
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/TestSuite
>> https://github.com/jmmv/kyua/wiki
>>
>> It doesn't matter to me where the central source for kyua documentation
>> lives,
>> but it is nice if a newcomer does a web search for "kyua" and within a few
>> clicks
>> lands on tutorials and useful documentation.  The docs that are there are
>> good,
>> but it is hard to navigate to them from a web search.
>>

> The kyua man pages are a good place to start.  Are the man pages rendered
> anywhere "officially"?
>
> I found this:
>
> http://manned.org/kyuafile.5
>
> which is not bad, but it is a third party service which renders man pages,
> so I don't know
> how reliable this service is in the long run.

Hi Craig!
    That's a good question. I just looked and it doesn't seem like
GitHub natively renders *roff, but that would be a nice feature to
have; I just opened https://github.com/github/markup/issues/342 to
track the feature request.
    Would it be a good idea to check in the rendered documentation as
part of Travis CI to a doc tree under GitHub? That seems to be what
some other projects do.
Thanks!
-Garrett