ATF work

Peter Holm peter at holm.cc
Wed Apr 2 17:34:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 10:31:44AM -0600, Alan Somers wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:53 AM, Peter Holm <peter at holm.cc> wrote:
> > I have uploaded a snapshot of the ATF work done for EMC Isilon,
> > based primarily on Garrett Cooper's work.
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~pho/FreeBSD-HEAD-ATF-Isilon-20140401.diff.xz
> > +
> > chmod +x /usr/src/lib/libc/tests/net/gen_ether_subr
>
> Holy patch queue, Batman!  There's fifty thousand lines of code in here!
>
> I'm not going to read every line, but here's what I noticed:

The patch is just a snapshot at what's being worked on, where the
goal was to get the maximum number of working test scenarios. As
you may have noticed the broken ones has just been marked as "skip"
/ WIP for now.

I'll go thru your comments and fix the issues pointed out. Thank you
for doing this!

I just started looking at rump. It seems some tests needs the user
mode tools like for example rump.ifconfig from
rumpkernel/netbsd-userspace-src Do you know if anybody has looked
at those?

As for the format of the patch file; I use it all to time for tests?
(cd /usr; patch -p2 < ~pho/FreeBSD-HEAD-ATF-Isilon-20140402.diff)

> All of the files from NetBSD should have a $FreeBSD:$ tag alongside
> the NetBSD tag.
>
> lib/libc/tests/net/getaddrinfo/Makefile has some commented out code
> that should be removed.
>
> So does lib/libc/tests/net/getaddrinfo/t_getaddrinfo.sh.
>
> Could lib/libc/tests/net/gen_ether_subr be converted to an awk script
> by replacing the first line with "#!/usr/bin/awk -f" and removing the
> invocation to awk?  Then it would have the correct syntax highlighting
> in editors.
>
> lib/libc/tests/net/Makefile has one tested comment out with the
> comment "test uses rump".  Would it be possible instead to leave the
> test in the build, but put "require.progs rump_server" in the relevant
> test cases' heads?
>
> It would be more idiomatic for lib/libc/tests/tls_dso/Makefile to
> define a TESTSDIR variable and use that in the definitions of LIBDIR
> and SHLIBDIR.
>
> lib/libc/tests/gen/Makefile has several tests commented out.  Several
> of the comments are confusingly short (what does "XXX: F_MAXFD DNE"
> mean)?  And the "#ATF_TESTS+=   posix_spawn" line should be deleted.
>
> lib/libc/tests/gen/posix_spawn/Makefile contains commented out code.
>
> lib/libc/tests/arch contains subdirectories that FreeBSD doesn't
> support and never will, like Vax.  They should be deleted.
>
> It's unfortunate that all of t_sha2 is disabled.  I don't understand
> the comment, either.  Is it disabled just because FreeBSD doesn't have
> sha384 functions?  We have both sha1 and sha256 in libc.
>
> lib/libc/tests/termios/Makefile has WARNS=4 commented out.  Why is that?
>
> Some Makefiles define "MAN= ".  It is more idiomatic to define "NOMAN=".
>
> Check your whitespace in tests/sys/kern/kern_fork_test.c and
> tests/sys/kern/user_test.c.  I see lines with leading spaces.
>
> I tried to test your patch, but I was unable to apply it.  It looks
> like you did "diff -dur src /usr/src" or something like that.  The
> problem is that the two paths need different levels of directories to
> be stripped.  Neither patch nor svn patch can deal with that.  The
> result is that either the newly created files appear in the wrong
> place, or the tool patches /usr/src/Makefile when it's supposed to
> patch /usr/src/tests/Makefile and /usr/src/libc/Makefile.  Could you
> please try to regenerate the patch?
>
> -Alan
>

> > - Peter

Peter