cvs commit: CVSROOT cfg_local.pm

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Jun 8 03:26:35 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:16:14PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> [Moving this discussion to -standards.]
>
> <<On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:47:46 -0400, Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU> said:
>
> > It sounds like it would be better for the system to say "UTC" instead
> > of "GMT" in the absence of /etc/localtime.  Does anyone disagree?
>
> I don't think POSIX reaches this question.  It says that there shall
> be a default timezone used when the TZ variable is not set, but
> doesn't say how this is established or what it should be, so I'm fine
> with that.  (But it will be a challenge to find the right bits in
> localtime.c to frob in order to make it happen, as I just found when I
> looked.)

Thanks - I should have realized this was where to ask.  :-(

Since I brought it up I'm willing to try and find what needs to be
changed unless someone else feels a burning need to do it themselves,
I don't want to step on toes.  If it's me I would be assuming this is
something that would need to happen before -current becomes -stable
and that it would not be retro-fitted to 4.X since it has the potential
for breakage.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu