FreeBSD 13.0-RC4 and Nginx process "stuck" during restart

Christos Chatzaras chris at cretaforce.gr
Tue Mar 30 16:01:05 UTC 2021

> On 30 Mar 2021, at 18:40, Jonathan T. Looney <jtl at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> Yes, it could be related. Because of the timing of when we first saw the behavior, I assumed the trigger for the behavior (which remains unknown) only existed in main. However, it is possible that this behavior is now being triggered in 13.0.
>
> Are you able to reliably reproduce this? I was never able to do that. A reliable reproduction may help narrow down the change which triggered this behavior.
>
> I can certainly MFC the patch to stable/13. re@ will need to decide whether to admit it to the release branch.
>
> Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,

I have 100+ nginx servers and I can reproduce it in many of them. It doesn't happen always in the same servers. Also after a "killlall -9 nginx && service nginx restart"  a second "service nginx restart" few seconds after the first restart completes successfully. I believe it needs few minutes/hours running nginx before the restart "stuck" in "Waiting for PIDS: 85499."

Did you notice it with nginx too or something else? I also run monit, bind, dovecot, postfix, mysql, php-fpm and pure-ftpd and didn't notice any restart of these services to "stuck".