FreeBSD 13.0-RC4 and Nginx process "stuck" during restart

Jonathan T. Looney jtl at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 30 15:41:08 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 3:57 PM Christos Chatzaras <chris at cretaforce.gr>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I upgrade from 12.2 to 13.0-RC4 and I notice a strange issue with Nginx.
>
> When I run "service nginx restart" in some (random) servers it
> doesn't complete the restart and it "stucks" at "Waiting for PIDS: 20536." .
>
> I can kill the 20536 process and then restart completes.
>

> procstat -kk 20536:
>
>   PID    TID COMM                TDNAME              KSTACK
> 63094 100505 nginx               -                   mi_switch+0xc1
> sleepq_catch_signals+0x2e6 sleepq_wait_sig+0x9 _sleep+0x1be
> kern_sigsuspend+0x164 sys_sigsuspend+0x31 amd64_syscall+0x10c
> fast_syscall_common+0xf8
>

> I found this commit:
>

> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=dbec10e08808e375365fb2a2462f306e0cdfda32
>
> Could this be related?

Yes, it could be related. Because of the timing of when we first saw the
behavior, I assumed the trigger for the behavior (which remains unknown)
only existed in main. However, it is possible that this behavior is now
being triggered in 13.0.

Are you able to reliably reproduce this? I was never able to do that. A
reliable reproduction may help narrow down the change which triggered this
behavior.

I can certainly MFC the patch to stable/13. re@ will need to decide whether
to admit it to the release branch.

Jonathan