FreeBSD 13.0 RC1 UEFI RAID-10 boot problems under VMware Fusion

Ruben van Staveren ruben at verweg.com
Sun Mar 14 14:42:51 UTC 2021

I’ve updated the installation to RC2, the behaviour has changed in vmware fusion to when I installed one of the  BETA releases.

The initial boot fails, the system will reboot again and then it succeeds, though more predictable than with the BETAs

I’m trying to see the differences in screen recording I made, and I can only see the “Image base” is changed.
Load path, load device, bootcurrent, bootinfo path, currdev (disk0p1, EFI)) has not changed.

Either something in the loader(s) was changed, or the RC1 to RC2 update placed contents on more “favourable" places on disk that made it possible to boot again.

But I do not understand how the loader interacts with the (Vmware) EFI firmware to make sense out of it.