FreeBSD 13.0 RC1 UEFI RAID-10 boot problems under VMware Fusion

Ruben van Staveren ruben at verweg.com
Wed Mar 10 11:22:14 UTC 2021

To continue on the subject of UEFI booting weirdness

> On 9 Mar 2021, at 16:57, Ruben van Staveren <ruben at verweg.com> wrote:
>
> If I press escape and end up in VMWare’s UEFI setup screen I can boot from any ada*p1 drive and continue as normal.
> Is UEFI with OpenZFS too new, or is this an issue in VMWare?

I got an off list tip to see whether this was also the case in bhyve, so I also created the setup in there, using UEFI boot, and no problems even with the special/log/cache NVMe vdevs attached to the pool.

So I’m starting to wonder whether the loader  / VMware UEFI firmware (??) interaction is a bug in VMware or an edge case that needs to be supported too.

Btw, bhyve is looking nice these days!

Cheers,
    Ruben