How do I know if my 13-stable has security patches?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Feb 26 17:46:56 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 9:35 AM Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 15:58, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >
> > The problem, though, can happen when you run a shallow clone or gitup to
> > get the sources and build from that. In that case the v number is bogus
> > (hmmm, we should omit it when we have a shallow clone maybe).
>
> I want to clarify one point here - the commit count is already omitted
> from uname in the case of shallow clones (as Kevin Oberman
> discovered).
>
> Shallow clones certainly have the benefit of limiting the amount of
> disk space used by the clone. Does that outweigh the loss of the
> commit count?
>
> I had a look at the size of the .git directory with different --depth
> settings:
>
> 262M    stable-13-shallow-1/.git
> 262M    stable-13-shallow-10/.git
> 262M    stable-13-shallow-100/.git
> 281M    stable-13-shallow-1000/.git
> 807M    stable-13-shallow-10000/.git
>
> I think we can provide a way to include the commit count as long as
> we're willing to require some minimum clone depth, and will pursue
> this in the next while. If this works out it will make it into
> stable/13, but probably not releng/13.0.

The count is a count back to the first commit in the repo. There's not even
a clear design for how to accomplish that with a subset of the repo that's
been floated. It might be possible, but until we have a clearly articulated
plan, it may be a bit premature to set expectations that it might happen.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, of course, and once there's a clear way to
accomplish this that's not fragile or a large maintenance burden on the
project, I'll happily support it...

Warner