How do I know if my 13-stable has security patches?

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 26 16:35:47 UTC 2021

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 15:58, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> The problem, though, can happen when you run a shallow clone or gitup to
> get the sources and build from that. In that case the v number is bogus
> (hmmm, we should omit it when we have a shallow clone maybe).

I want to clarify one point here - the commit count is already omitted
from uname in the case of shallow clones (as Kevin Oberman
discovered).

Shallow clones certainly have the benefit of limiting the amount of
disk space used by the clone. Does that outweigh the loss of the
commit count?

I had a look at the size of the .git directory with different --depth settings:

262M    stable-13-shallow-1/.git
262M    stable-13-shallow-10/.git
262M    stable-13-shallow-100/.git
281M    stable-13-shallow-1000/.git
807M    stable-13-shallow-10000/.git

I think we can provide a way to include the commit count as long as
we're willing to require some minimum clone depth, and will pursue
this in the next while. If this works out it will make it into
stable/13, but probably not releng/13.0.