UEFI boot failure with VMware Workstation 16 and 12.2Beta3

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Wed Sep 30 16:45:21 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

I've been testing FreeBSD 12.2Beta3 (amd64) with VMware Workstation 16
on Windows 10, and encountered an issue which looks to be related to the
UEFI console (see attached screenshot).

It's quite possible this is a VMware UEFI bug rather than a FreeBSD bug,
and I've mentioned this to VMware here:
https://communities.vmware.com/thread/643481 but I wanted to mention it
here in case it's triggered by the FreeBSD UEFI support doing something
slightly incorrect which triggers this misbehaviour.

I also tested with the latest 12.1 release image and this behaviour is
not triggered with 12.1p1 or p10.

Kind regards,

Roger