building releng11 on RELENG12 broken ?

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 5 00:21:21 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 7:02 PM mike tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:

> Not sure exactly when, but it seems building RELENG_11 seems to be
> broken on releng12.  I am trying to buildworld on a RELENG12 image with
> -j4 (12.2-STABLE r366088) and it fails with the errors below

Hi,

I've been battling this one for a couple days, but I really haven't
decided how to move forward. The TL;DR version is that crunchgen is
getting the OBJDIR wrong when building WITHOUT_AUTO_OBJ by assuming
objects will be built in-tree, but the reality is that it's more
complicated than that- it may still use out-of-tree OBJDIR if some
circumstances are hit.

This is reproducible on -HEAD and stable/12, too, but it's effectively
mitigated by the fact that those branches default to WITH_AUTO_OBJ.

CC'ing Bryan, because he probably has a better idea of how to fix it.
I almost smacked it with a "shell out for each utility and just ask
what the OBJDIR is" hammer, but I don't want to get smacked. =)

Thanks,

Kyle Evans