pkg thinks kernel is old

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 10 15:24:54 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 01:25:28PM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
> This message of pkg is misleading.
>
> It looks at /bin/sh or something like that for the version. And prints that as the 'kernel' version. So if you did an incremental build and /bin/sh was not changed the version stays the same.
> To fix it you can do a clean buildworld/installworld.
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.

I do agree the message is misleading, It should say "running world".

It does not look anymore at /bin/sh because of the incremental build problem, it
looks at uname which is always updated for uname -U during incremental builds.
(and falls back on /bin/sh if uname does not exist).

so it says the userland of the running system is not inlined with the version
the packages where built for.

Best regards,
Bapt