ZFS...

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed May 8 17:04:42 UTC 2019

On 5/8/2019 11:53, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:31 AM Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a system here with about the same amount of net storage on it as
>> you did.  It runs scrubs regularly; none of them take more than 8 hours
>> on *any* of the pools.  The SSD-based pool is of course *much* faster
>> but even the many-way RaidZ2 on spinning rust is an ~8 hour deal; it
>> kicks off automatically at 2:00 AM when the time comes but is complete
>> before noon.  I run them on 14 day intervals.
>>
> .... (description elided)

That is a /lot /bigger pool than either Michelle or I are describing.

We're both in the ~20Tb of storage space area.  You're running 5-10x
that in usable space in some of these pools and yet seeing ~2 day scrub
times on a couple of them (that is, the organization looks pretty
reasonable given the size and so is the scrub time), one that's ~5 days
and likely has some issues with parallelism and fragmentation, and then,
well, two awfuls which are both dedup-enabled.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>