ZFS...

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Sun May 5 13:37:50 UTC 2019

Pete French wrote:

> On 05/05/2019 04:06, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Which I find interesting in itself as I have a machine running 9.3
>> which started life as a 5.x (which tells you how old it is) and it’s
>> still running on the same *compaq* raid5 with UFS on it... with the
>> original drives, with a hot spare that still hasn’t been used... and
>> the only thing done to it hardware wise is I replaced the motherboard
>> 12 months ago as it just stopped POSTing and couldn’t work out what
>> failed...never had a drive corruption barring the fscks following
>> hard power issues... it went with me from Brisbane to Canberra, back
>> to Brisbane by back of car, then to Malta, back from Malta and is
>> still downstairs...  it’s my primary MX server and primary resolver
>> for home and handles around 5k email per day..
>
> Heh, Ok, thats cool :-) Some of my old HP RAID systems started life as
> Compaq ones - you never installed the firmware update which simply
> changed the name it printed on boot then ?

Umm, does it change the big startup "COMPAQ" graphic?  If not then
dunno... if it does... nope :)

> My personal server with the dead battery has been going at least 12
> years. Had to replace the drives (and HP SAS drives are still silly
> prices sadly), one of the onboard ether ports has died, but otherwise
> still going strong.

IIRC i've put 3 new clock batteries in over the years... and it's all
SCSI... 18GB (no SAS on the machine) :P ... (in fact, 32bit and not
capable of driving a SAS card - unless you can get PCI or ISA SAS cards :P )

> Not had the long distance travel of yours though. I did ship some
> machines to Jersey once, but boat, and all the drives which had been
> on the crossing failed one by one within a few months of arriving.
> Makes me wonder how rough the sea that crossing actually was.

The biggest issue I had was the idiots who unloaded the container at
Customs.. not saying much except they loaded it backwards (literally)
... a 3KVA ups (with batteries in it) was put at the top and by the time
it got from Botany to me it had made its way to the bottom...

> Those were in a Compaq RAID pedestal too. After that I shipped
> machines, but took the drives in my hand luggage on planes always.
> Actiually, not sure they would let me do that these days, havent
> triued in years.

Good question.

--
Michelle Sullivan