ZFS...

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri May 3 12:11:50 UTC 2019

Pete French wrote on 2019/05/03 11:55:

> Oddly enough I got bitten by something like this yesteray. I have a
> machine containing an HP P400 RAID controller, which is nice enough, but
> I run ZFS so I have made the drives all into RAID-0 as being as close as
> I can get to accessing the raw SAS drives.
>
> BSD seems them as da0, da1, da2, da3 - but the RAID controller oly
> presents one of them to the BIOS, so my booting has to be all from that
> drive. This has been da0 for as long as I can remember, but yesteday it
> decided to start using what BSD sees as da1. Of course this is very hard
> to recognise as da0 and da1 are pretty much mirrors of each other. Spent
> a long time trying to work out why the fixes I was applying to da0 were
> not being used at boot time.

I had this problem in the past too. I am not sure if it was on Dell or
HP machine - controller presents first disk only in the boot time so I
created small (10 - 15GB partition) on each disk and use them all in 4
way mirror. Cannot say if it was gmirror with UFS or ZFS mirroring. The
rest of the each disk was used for ZFS RAIDZ.

> ( Having to use Windows XP to talk to the iLo due to browsers dropping
> support for the old ciphers doesnt help either, what do other people
> with oldish HP hardware do about this ? I know its off topic, but theres
> a lot of it out there... )

I have WinXP guest in VirtualBox exactly for this situation. With old
browser, with old Java, with Flash - believe it or not, Cisco UCS C200
has remote management created in Flash!

Miroslav Lachman