Buildworld times (was Re: svn commit: r350256 - in stable/12: . contrib/compiler-rt/lib/sanitizer_common contrib/libunwind/src contrib/llvm/lib/DebugInfo/DWARF contrib/llvm/lib/MC contrib/llvm/lib/Object contrib/llvm/lib/Ta...)

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 24 21:21:24 UTC 2019

On 24 Jul 2019, at 22:56, mike tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:

> On 7/24/2019 1:21 PM, mike tancsa wrote:
>> On 7/24/2019 12:02 PM, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> # cat /etc/src.conf /etc/make.conf
>> MK_SYSTEM_COMPILER=no
>> MK_SYSTEM_LINKER=no
>> KERNCONF=server
>> MK_SYSTEM_COMPILER=no
>> MK_SYSTEM_LINKER=no
>
> Hmmm, is the logic reversed somehow ?  The good news is if nothing is
> defined, it does the right thing.

The idea is that the default is to *not* bootstrap the compiler, if the
system compiler is new enough.  E.g. if you build r350256 from a system
built before r350256, it will normally automatically bootstrap
everything.

E.g., your previous builds did not have to bootstrap, and now they do,
which is why they take longer.

So the only good way to compare is to force MK_SYSTEM_COMPILER=yes and
MK_SYSTEM_LINKER=yes, so both buildworlds will do the same thing.

I did a few tests on a relatively fast machine, and buildworld with
those settings on took approximately the same time at r350255 and
r350256.  I'm now repeating those experiments to feed the results to
ministat.

-Dimitry