FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE i386 can not build a kernel?

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 28 14:13:14 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 08:26, Rodney W. Grimes
<freebsd at pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> Are you really rally expecting a user to rebuild the world that
> he just installed that should be exactly the same world he gets
> build (reproduceable builds and all??).

I'm expecting that a user will either follow the directions in the
handbook (or use the LD=ld.lld override). A user that rebuilds the
world they just installed will indeed get the same world.

> But in your other mail you said the proper toolchain is included,
> so this is not really true?

> Yes I remeber the issue but we shipped a release with the issue in it?
> An issue that was hit 7 months before the release?
> Really?

Yes, unfortunately re and portmgr asked me not to change this for the release.

> Isn't this just a mater of fixing the toplevel make at
> /usr/src for target buildkernel to include the LD=ld.lld or
> fixing the kernel Makefile likewise?

Possibly, but we don't want to break things if the user provides their
own setting for LD=. I had a brief look at it when this issue existed
on amd64 but there was no trivial fix.