Java support

Kurt Jaeger pi at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 21 10:18:21 UTC 2019

Hi!

> With the Java FreeBSD mailing list pretty quiet, I thought I might ask
> here whether anyone was working on porting the latest Java versions over
> to FreeBSD.

There's the openjdk port, java/openjdk8.

You are asking about input from the FreeBSD community to openjdk9, 10 and 11 ?

> While Java 8 will be quite satisfactory for a while, the longer Java
> advances without BSD patches the harder it will be to bring across all
> the good work done for Java 8 on FreeBSD.

This is correct.

> Are there plans for the Foundation to sponsor some work in this area?

Your point is, that the FreeBSD community should do regular testbuilds for

https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-jdk9u/
https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-jdk10u/
https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-jdk11u/

and provide patches if something does not build or work, right ?

And, if necessary, fund someone to do that work ?

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                    One year to go !