Minor 11.1 -> 11.2 upgrade glitch

Marc Branchaud marcnarc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 15:07:22 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have a ZFS dataset mounted under /usr/local/jenkins.  I've made this
the home directory of my jenkins user, so that directory has to be owned
by jenkins.

	# cd /usr/local
	# ls -ld jenkins
	drwxr-xr-x  20 jenkins  jenkins  75 Sep 17 10:48 jenkins

After upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2, the directory ended up owned by root:

	drwxr-xr-x  20 root  jenkins  75 Sep 17 10:48 jenkins

Only the directory ownership changed -- all the contents were still
owned by jenkins.

Not a big deal, but I did have a moment of dread when jenkins failed to
start after the upgrade.

So is this a bug, or is there some policy that everything immediately
under /usr/local should be owned by root?

		M.