Possible memory leak in the kernel (contigmalloc)

Bennett, Ciunas ciunas.bennett at intel.com
Tue Oct 30 09:47:12 UTC 2018

Hi,

I was debugging the issue by viewing the free ques "sysctl vm.phys_free" and also using "show page" in ddb.
The inactive memory is never being released back into the free que.
I thought that when inactive memory reaches a certain threshold that the kernel will start reclaiming and move it to the free list?
In my program this is not happening, the program uses free memory (contigmalloc), and then it is put into the inactive que (contiigfree) when the program frees it.
This inactive memory is never released by the kernel, and the inactive que grows until all the memory is in this que.
I  have attached a xml sheet that shows the memory usage in the system.

Ciunas.