Kernel modules and updates (problems with graphics/drm-stable-kmod)

Arrigo Marchiori ardovm at yahoo.it
Mon Oct 29 11:34:15 UTC 2018

Dear All,

I am encountering a strange problem with port graphics/drm-stable-kmod.
My system is a 11.2-STABLE amd64 with GENERIC kernel.

I upgrade the base system every week or two from source.  My
/etc/make.conf lists graphics/drm-stable-kmod in PORTS_MODULES, in
order to have it recompiled with every kernel.

When I install the new kernel, run mergemaster and reboot, however,
Xorg is unable to drive the video card: something goes wrong with DRM
and he tty belonging to Xorg remains black. The other tty's work
well.

I tracked down the problem to the file /boot/kernel/radeonkms.ko
                                             ^^^^^^
If I delete that file and reboot, Xorg works fine.

My question is: why is that file there? The port
graphics/drm-stable-kmod installs its module in
/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko but the other version from /boot/kernel/
seems to be loaded instead, and therefore Xorg does not work.

Is this a bug of either installkernel, or the port? Or am I doing
anything wrong?

Thank you in advance,
--
rigo