TP-LINK TL-WN321G

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sat Oct 27 17:50:37 UTC 2018

On 27 Oct 2018, at 16:01, tech-lists wrote:

Hi,

> context: 12-stable amd64
>
> When TP-LINK TL-WN321G usb dongle is inserted, this appears in dmesg:
>
> ugen1.3: <Ralink 802.11 n WLAN> at usbus1
..
> run0: MAC/BBP RT5390 (rev 0x0502), RF RT5370 (MIMO 1T1R), address
> [REDACTED]
..
> and run0 appears, and works, yet:
>
> rum(4) says it supports this:
> TP-LINK TL-WN321G
>
> but no rum0 happens either on insertion (using standard GENERIC
> kernel) or with rum loaded.

The problem with these dongles is that sometimes there’s a rev A and a
rev B which use entirely different chipsets and hence are entirely
different drivers.  That is rarely observable from online shopping sites
or even product packaging.   I haven’t checked this particular case
but if you can send me a usbconfig dump_device_desc for it I can go an
have a look.

/bz