FCP-0101: Deprecating most 10/100 Ethernet drivers

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Oct 24 00:04:52 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 5:26 PM Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> sn,
> > > smc,
> > > thread, and

> mtu
> > > 1500
> 192.168.91.255
> > > <full-duplex,flowcontrol,rxpause,txpause>)

> server.

> > > Brooks,
> > >         Is there a public revised version of FCP-0101 that reflects the
> > > feedback which is what core is voting on?
> > >

> > Its on github, just like it's been the whole time for anybody to see,
> > submit pull requests against and track:
>
> I have no gh account, desires no gh account, so have no way to
> submit a change request other than through direct email to
> brooks or another gh user.  This is fundementally flawed.

The fcp process was officially approved by core.9. You can make suggestions
to core for improvements to the process. Lord knows this FCP hasn't been
trouble free (though we've learned some valuable lessons). Submissions to
the author is always an option should you choose not to use the widely used
technology we've chosen to automate this process. Some FreeBSD users don't
have accounts, however, many non-developers have github accounts and I
think it's a reasonable way to do outreach to the larger community w/o
requiring everybody to get a freebsd account (since they are already likely
to have a github account, and if not they are trivial to get).

So yea, it's a flawed process, and we'd love feedback on actionable items
we can do to make it better.

Warner