FCP-0101: Deprecating most 10/100 Ethernet drivers

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Oct 23 21:55:58 UTC 2018

Doug Hardie wrote:
> I have a number of production servers that only have bge and I don't see that listed in either category.  None of them are running FreeBSD 12 yet as it has not been released.  Also there are some with rl.  Those are add-on boards so they could be changed, but would require extensive effort as the machines are about a 4 hour drive from here and would require reconfiguration (an error prone process when you are tired).

bge is also used by my main laptop with current Oct 15 18:33 /boot/kernel/kernel

bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=c019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

Doug, I think bge must be safe as man 4 bge:
"bge - Broadcom BCM57xx/BCM590x Gigabit/Fast Ethernet driver"
& Brooks proposal was ... "a plan to deprecate most 10/100 Ethernet drivers"

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich.
 Brexit referendum stole 3,700,000 Brits votes abroad, inc. 700,000 in EU.