dmesg submission service -- please submit today

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun Oct 7 23:41:55 UTC 2018

On 07/10/2018 05:40, Warner Losh wrote:

>> I'd like to request as many people as possible submit
>> their current dmesg to the service at http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi so
>> that we have a better basis for future preliminary lists of drivers for
>> other parts of the tree.

> This one-liner works to submit, though you'll need to change username,
> email and maybe tweak the description if your system doesn't have decent
> smbios entries. It's also x86 centric, since other systems won't have this
> information as readily available.

Out of interest, has FreeBSD considered implementing an equivalent of
Debian's "popularity-contest" package, which periodically submits
anonymised lists of installed packages?  On FreeBSD this could be from
the pkg database, and could also include hardware information.

In Debian, it's opt-in at install time, or installable afterward.  If
FreeBSD had a similar package and installer opt-in, this could
potentially provide useful usage statistics without any privacy concerns.

Regards,
Roger