FCP-0101: Deprecating most 10/100 Ethernet drivers

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Oct 4 16:21:21 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 10:15 AM Michelle Sullivan <michelle at sorbs.net>
wrote:

> tech-lists wrote:
> >
> > I'm astonished you're considering removing rl given how common it is.
> >

> I'll second that comment - though no disrespect to Brooks.  Brooks as
> far as I can see is just the messenger.

Absent good data, one has to make one's best guesses. I guessed wrong here
in my comments to Brooks about which ones were must keeps. I knew it was
popular back in the day (~2000), but had thought it's popularity had waned
much more than it apparently has. I last deployed systems with rl in them
around 2007, and at the time it was trailing edge gear (the SBCs we used at
Timing Solutions tended to use popular, but ~5-year-old technology because
that market segment wanted longevity of spare availability...).

Warner