Experiences with 12-BETA3

Mark Dixon mnd999 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 19:03:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

I thought I'd share some difficulties I've had upgrading from 11 to 12.

* Java 1.8 seems unstable - I've been doing a bit of Scala dev today, and
the JVM seems somewhat unstable. SBT is crashing with the following fairly
regularly. I'm pretty sure I've rebuilt it since the upgrade.

#
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000000080177cf4f, pid=63539, tid=0x0000000000019159
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_181-b13) (build
1.8.0_181-b13)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.181-b13 mixed mode bsd-amd64
compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0x97cf4f]  JVM_FindSignal+0x18534f

* The upgrade to the UEFI bootloader was not smooth for me. I use grub2 to
multiboot, and my grub script for FreeBSD was not changing the boot device
- currdev I think in UEFI speak. This has worked for years, but recent
changes to the uefi loader caused it to start caring about this and break
into the loader instead of booting. The line I had to add was:

search --fs-uuid --set=root <some hints> <some uuid>

The only way I could find out how to fix this was via the -current list
archives (and the Arch Linux wiki)

Mark