How do you boot the debug kernel installed from kernel-dbg.txz?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Nov 7 00:47:37 UTC 2018

On 11/6/18 4:22 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to install a debug-kernel.
>
> I didn’t install the debug-kernel when I installed the system (11.2), but I downloaded the archive.
>
> I can unpack it - but how do I then select the kernel at boot?

I may be mistaken, but I don't think you actually need to boot the
debug-kernel and modules (in fact I don't think you can), rather those
files are intended for being read by kgdb while debugging a core that is
generated by savecore(8) so that you have access to full symbol table
etc.  this page section in the dev handbook debugging kernel core dumps:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

hope this helps,

-pete

--