lint errors in stable/11

Rick Miller vrwmiller at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:41:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 8:23 AM Dimitry Andric <dim at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10 May 2018, at 12:47, Rick Miller <vrwmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Rick Miller <vrwmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Performing a release build via release/release.sh in r331337 of
> stable/11
> >> errors citing the lack of lint. It’s understood lint was removed from
> >> stable/11 so src.conf includes WITHOUT_LINT, but errors persist. As the
> >> code review alludes to[1], lint is irrelevant here. It seems
> WITHOUT_LINT
> >> may not be the only thing I’m looking for. What is the best approach for
> >> mitigating these errors?
> >>

> > Here’s the error w/o email munging:
> >
> > ===> usr.bin/xlint/xlint (all)
> > /data/dists/11.1.9.0-amd64-md/usr/src/contrib/apr/atomic/uni
> > x/builtins.c:71:53:
> > warning: passing 'const void *' to parameter of type 'volatile void *'
> > discards
> > qualifiers [-Wincompatible-pointer-types-discards-qualifiers]
> >
> >    return (void*) __sync_val_compare_and_swap(mem, cmp, with);
> >
> >                                                    ^~~
> >
> > 1 warning generated.
> >
> > ===> usr.bin/xlint/llib (all)
> >
> > sh: lint: not found
>
> Are you building on a -CURRENT host?  If so, see the previous mail
> thread about this:
>

> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2017-November/088092.html
>
> and https://bugs.freebsd.org/223892.
>
> No, the build system is stable/11 r331337 building releng/11.1. The build
system doesn’t include ‘lint’:

# echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin
# which lint
lint: Command not found.

The mail thread and bug refer to building stable/11 on current where this
case is building releng/11.1 on stable/11. They also do not appear to
provide actionable information on mitigating errors though the code
commit[1] suggests installing a lint will resolve. Ports doesn’t seem to
contain a suitable replacement however. Can lint still be installed on the
build system from the stable/11 source? If so, how is that accomplished?

Do WITH/WITHOUT_LINT have any impact here? The source has been built with
WITH_LINT and WITHOUT_LINT to the same result except that xlint either
builds or doesn’t depending on the option.

This all seems to originate with llib’s dependency on lint as described in
the email thread. It is in building llib where the error occurs.

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13799

-Rick
--
Take care