Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ? (with sort of workaround)

Pete French petefrench at ingresso.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 13:58:31 UTC 2018

> This is true, but absolutely irrelevant.
>
> Modern CPUs have hundreds, if not thousands, MSR registers.  Only some of
> them define architectural state, and saved/restored on the context switches.
> Chicken bits are global knobs not relevant to the vmm entry.

That actually makes far more sense. I was kind of puzzled as to how it
would work if they were per VM :-)

> Which other files ?

sys/x86/include/specialreg.h and sys/x86/x86/cpu_machdep.c

Those are in your original patch as well as the change
to sys/amd64/amd64/initcpu.c, but your email earlier only
patches sys/amd64/amd64/initcpu.c and not the others.

So I assumed I would keep the changes to the other two files ?

-pete.