Success updating stable/11 to /12; a couple things to note

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Dec 27 16:30:51 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 09:13:09AM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-12-27 at 05:53 -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
> > * I found that I actually needed to create the ntpd user on the
> >   running system prior to "make installworld" -- having run
> >   "mergemaster -U" against the target (DESTDIF) was insufficient.
>
> The correct update sequence involves running mergemaster twice, once
> with the -p option, then again later without it. It's detailed at the
> bottom of UPDATING. People get in the habit of skipping the -p step
> because it's only really needed once every few years, such as when a
> new user is added to the base system.
>
> -- Ian

Yes, but the one after "make installworld" isn't likely to affect the
"make installworld".  :-)

The sequence of events:

mount -u -r /
mount -u -r /usr
mount /dev/ada0s1a /S1
mount /dev/ada0s1d /S1/usr
mount -u -w /S1
mount -u -w /S1/usr
ln -fhs /var /S1/var
mount -o ro freebeast:/usr/src /usr/src
mount -o ro freebeast:/usr/obj /usr/obj
id
mount
cd /usr/src
uname -a
date
make LD=ld.lld installkernel DESTDIR=/S1
date
mergemaster -U -u 0022 -p -D /S1
date
rm -fr /S1/usr/include.old
date
mv -f /S1/usr/include /S1/usr/include.old
date
rm -fr /S1/usr/share/man
date
make installworld DESTDIR=/S1
date
mergemaster -F -U -u 0022 -i -D /S1
date
make delete-old DESTDIR=/S1
date
date
df -k
date

My point was that running "mergemaster -U" against the new image (/S1,
in the case above) is not sufficient for "make installworld DESTDIR=/S!"
to work: it is necessary that the *running* system be aware of the
"ntpd" user (I presume, to allow ownership of files to be set by the
"ntpd" name, vs. the numeric "123").

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Beyond some threshold, should presidential lies become impeachable offenses?