Upgrade to FreeBSD 12.0 breaks SSHD

Andrea Brancatelli abrancatelli at schema31.it
Fri Dec 21 17:55:17 UTC 2018

To David Wolfskil, your mail server keeps refusing my mail, so I'm
sending you my reply here:

Hello David

sorry I didn't mean to sound critic towards the work of anyone but I can
assure you 100% that we never touched that file for any particular
reason.

What I can assure you tho, is that the machine used to be a FreeBSD 8/9
in the beginning.

What I just checked is that the man page for sshd_config lists the
allowed values for MAC and hmac-ripemd160 disappeared since 12.0 - you
can check it in the online man page:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sshd_config&apropos=0&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD+11.2-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
vs https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?sshd_config(5)

Furthermore I just checked some other of our machines that were upgraded
from previous versions of FreeBSD (always 8/9 era):

root at cianuro:/etc/ssh # freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p7
root at cianuro:/etc/ssh # cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep MACs
MACs hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160
root at cianuro:/etc/ssh #

While a fresh new 11.x doesn't have that line:

root at phpengine-ams301:~ # freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p5
root at phpengine-ams301:~ # cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep MACs
root at phpengine-ams301:~ #

---

Andrea Brancatelli
Schema31 S.p.a.