Congratulations on the Silver Anniversery Edition of FreeBSD

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 14 07:18:50 UTC 2018

On 12 Dec, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I worked with 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD back in the 70s and 80s. I moved to other
> OSes (Digital RT, RSX and VMS an Varian Vortex) and returned in about 1999
> to FreeBSD 3.0. I've been using FreeBSD ever since. It's been wonderful and
> I am so grateful to all of the people who have keeping it going over the
> years. I try to contribute when I can, but I am not a coder, so it's in
> other ways.

Wow, I haven't heard Varian Vortex mentioned in a long time.  The first
real computer that I got to play with was a Varian, back in the
mid-70's.  I think I still have some of the manuals.  After that it was
Univac Chi/OS, Digital RT, Harris Vulcan / VOS, Masscomp RTU, Sun SunOS
/ Solaris, a bit of NetBSD, FreeBSD starting somewhere in the 2.2.x
timeframe, and more recently CentOS, Fedora, and Debian.