/dev/crypto not being used in 12-STABLE

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Dec 6 19:34:58 UTC 2018

I have upgraded two physical machines from 11-STABLE to 12-STABLE recently (one is 12.0-PRERELEASE r341380 and the other is 12.0-PRERELEASE r341391). I noticed today that neither machine seems to be utilizing /dev/crypto. Typically I see at least ssh/sshd have the device open plus some programs from ports. But 'fuser' doesn't list any processes on either machine:

# fuser /dev/crypto
/dev/crypto:

Both machines are running custom kernels that include "device crypto" and "device cryptodev". One of them additionally has "device aesni".

Is anyone else seeing this? Any idea what would cause it?

Thanks,

JN