Upgrading via source build, 10.4->11.2

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Wed Dec 5 02:24:01 UTC 2018

/usr/src/UPDATING says:

        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        If you are updating from a prior version of FreeBSD (even one just
        a few days old), you should follow this procedure.  It is the most
        failsafe as it uses a /usr/obj tree with a fresh mini-buildworld,

        make kernel-toolchain
        make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE

But at the very end of this procedure, I get:

[...]
===> zlib (install)
install -T release -o root -g wheel -m 555   zlib.ko /boot/kernel/
install -T debug -o root -g wheel -m 555   zlib.ko.debug
/usr/lib/debug/boot/kernel/
kldxref /boot/kernel
kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file atacard.ko
kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file atp.ko
kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file atp.ko

Should I have started with "make buildworld," or would that have
bombed out even worse?  Do I reboot and "make buildworld"?  Or do
I "make buildworld" now, while still running 10.4?      -- George