Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ? (with sort of workaround)

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Apr 25 13:39:10 UTC 2018

On 4/24/2018 8:04 PM, Don Lewis wrote:

>> I was able to lock it up with vbox. bhyve was just a little easier to
>> script and also I figured would be good to get VBox out of the mix in
>> case it was something specific to VBox.  I dont recall if I tried it
>> with SMT disabled.  Regardless, on Intel based systems I ran these tests
>> for 72hrs straight without issue.   I can sort of believe hardware issue
>> or flaky motherboard BIOSes (2 ASUS MBs, 1 MSI MB, 3 Ryzen chips), but
>> the fact that two server class MBs from SuperMicro along with an Epyc
>> chip also does the same thing makes me think something specific to
>> FreeBSD and this class of AMD CPU :(
>
> It would be interesting to test other AMD CPUs.  I think AMD and Intel
> have some differences in the virtualization implementations.

I dont have any Opterons handy unfortunately. However, I have a feeling
its not so much due to virtualization, as I am pretty sure I had a crash
when I wasnt doing any VM testing as well.
Peter Grehan speculated it might have something to do with a lot of IPIs
being generated.  Are there any non VM workloads that will generate many
IPIs ?

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400 x203