Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ? (with sort of workaround)

Nimrod Levy nimrodl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:48:52 UTC 2018

I'm really glad to see that I'm not the only one still interested in this
thread.  I don't really have anything new to contribute. I've been getting
about a week or so uptime out of my box. My habit has been to see if it
hangs, then reboot and rebuild latest stable and reboot and run that for a
while. Although now that this thread pops back up, I just realized it's
been 2 weeks since the last cycle. I don't trust it yet, but I've seen
clear improvement since this started.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 7:18 AM Pete French <petefrench at ingresso.co.uk>
wrote:

> So, resurrecting the thread from a few weeks ago, as I finally found
> time yesterday to out together the Ryzen machine I bought the parts for in
> Jaunary (busy year at work....). All went smoothl;y, checked it
> booted up, used it for 15 minutes, was impressed by the speed and went
> home.
>
> ...and by the time I got home, an hour or so later, it had locked up hard.
>
> I was somewhat dissapointed, as I had seen various fixes go in,. and had
> hoped
> the issues were fixed. This morning I have booted the machine back up,
> tweaking the BIOPS to do things mentioned in this thread, viz:
>
>         Disable Turbo Boost
>         Disable SMT
>         Disable global C-states
>
> The memory was already ruunning correctly at 2133 (though I have locked
> that
> in the BIOS too) and I was already using kern.eventtimer.periodic=1, so
> the lockup was not related to those. Its the latest BIOS, and a -STABLE
> build from yesterday.
>
> I suspect it will now be stable, but I was wondering if anyone was any
> further
> forward on working out which of the settings above are the ones which 'fix'
> the issue - or indeed if its really fixed, by them or just made far less
> likely
> to happen.
>
> Anyone got any more comments on this ?
>
> cheers,