pkg issue after FreeBSD 11 upgrade

Franco Fichtner franco at lastsummer.de
Wed Aug 30 13:23:43 UTC 2017

Hi Baptiste,

> On 30. Aug 2017, at 3:05 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> No.  At OPNsense we use a patch to revert the behaviour.
>>
>> https://github.com/opnsense/ports/blob/master/ports-mgmt/pkg/files/patch-libpkg_scripts.c
>
> Why and what is your use case, there is a reason why this code has been added,
> and I would like to hear more about use cases so we can try to address them.

There's to things in this patch.

(1) The hard fail for scripts leaves a GUI-driven environment without
its package, so post-install fails become fatal and appliances are
completely stranded, possibly left without means of recovery.

This is where FreeBSD base and the "appliance" GUI packages are completely
separated.  This is somewhat mitigated by marking said GUI package
vital, but vital won't help if the package was deinstalled during an
upgrade and then the upgrade script itself fails.

Every now and then, I see "user disappeared" during package installs
on stock FreeBSD systems so the install fails.  I am guessing that's
the same issue.

(2) The reaper kills a package-based watchdog / backend service.  Maybe
HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS can cope with this, but it would be beneficial to be
able to enable this per package / rc service / metadata as generally the
reaper is a fine and sane addition.

Cheers,
Franco