11.0 stuck on high network load

Julien Charbon jch at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 12 15:17:51 UTC 2016

 Hi Slawa,

On 10/12/16 3:01 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 02:35:11PM +0200, Julien Charbon wrote:

>>> May be current workaround (with logging) in tcp_usr_detach() is good
>>> solutuion for preventing system lockout by similar bugs?
>>
>>  Good question, the quick workaround in tcp_usr_detach() does not handle
>> all the cases.  If it reduces the number of crashes you can still find
>> scenarios where it can have unexpected side effect.
>
> This is best then guaranted lockout.
>
>>  Long term solution is to enforce:  If the inp has the INP_DROPPED flag
>> just stop processing it and return.  If you grep the INP_DROPPED flag in
>> kernel sources, you can see that this test is already done in almost all
>> tcp_*() processing functions but tcp_input().
>>
>>  I would say that even without this issue tcp_input() should check
>> INP_DROPPED flags after INP_WLOCK anyway.  Same for the TOE TCP stack,
>> you are simply not supposed to process a inp with INP_DROPPED flag.
>
> Absolutly acceptant!
> May point is: more check and good handling of check result is best for
> stability.
>
> I.e. AND check INP_DROPPED in tcp_input AND workaroud INP_TIMEWAIT in
> tcp_usr_detach (with logging) and check of some posible cases in XXX TOE.
>
> Current TCP stack too complex and have many corner cases. This is need
> additional guards where posible (not caused kernel panic).

 I see your point:  Even if this issue is caught by this assert:

KASSERT(tp == NULL, ("tcp_detach: INP_TIMEWAIT && "
    "INP_DROPPED && tp != NULL"));
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/release/11.0.0/sys/netinet/tcp_usrreq.c#L213

 you might not have INVARIANT option, then you will get a lockout quite
difficult to debug.  Thus what we can do is:

 - If INVARIANT is set:  kernel panic to get all the details in the core.
 - If INVARIANT is not set:  Log this error with an explicit kernel
log(LOG_ERR) describing the issue, and then use the workaround to avoid
the double-free to let the system to good enough state.

 Something like:

tcp_detach() {

  if (inp->inp_flags & INP_TIMEWAIT) {

    if (inp->inp_flags & INP_DROPPED) {

      in_pcbdetach(inp);
      if (__predict_true(tp == NULL)) {
          in_pcbfree(inp);
      } else {
#ifdef INVARIANTS
        panic("tcp_detach: tp != NULL, That's not good because 'blah'\n");
#else
        log(LOG_ERR, "tcp_detach: tp != NULL, That's not good because
'blah'\n");
#endif
        INP_WUNLOCK(inp);
      }