11.0 stuck on high network load

Slawa Olhovchenkov slw at zxy.spb.ru
Wed Oct 12 13:01:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 02:35:11PM +0200, Julien Charbon wrote:

>  Hi Slawa,

> >>  Sure, basically the same bug that in classic TCP stack.  If you think
> >> it can happen, send an email describing that to np@ and he will check
> >> and fix that.  He is a TOE TCP stack expert and I am not.  In all cases,
> >> if this issue is possible in TOE TCP stack context, the patch will be
> >> straightforward:  If the INP_DROPPED flag is set do not call tcp_twstart().
> >>
> >>  The current patch focuses only on the classic TCP stack.
> >
> > May be current workaround (with logging) in tcp_usr_detach() is good
> > solutuion for preventing system lockout by similar bugs?
>
>  Good question, the quick workaround in tcp_usr_detach() does not handle
> all the cases.  If it reduces the number of crashes you can still find
> scenarios where it can have unexpected side effect.

This is best then guaranted lockout.

>  Long term solution is to enforce:  If the inp has the INP_DROPPED flag
> just stop processing it and return.  If you grep the INP_DROPPED flag in
> kernel sources, you can see that this test is already done in almost all
> tcp_*() processing functions but tcp_input().
>
>  I would say that even without this issue tcp_input() should check
> INP_DROPPED flags after INP_WLOCK anyway.  Same for the TOE TCP stack,
> you are simply not supposed to process a inp with INP_DROPPED flag.

Absolutly acceptant!
May point is: more check and good handling of check result is best for
stability.

I.e. AND check INP_DROPPED in tcp_input AND workaroud INP_TIMEWAIT in
tcp_usr_detach (with logging) and check of some posible cases in XXX TOE.

Current TCP stack too complex and have many corner cases. This is need
additional guards where posible (not caused kernel panic).