buildworld errors at outset on fresh svn checkout

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Sat Oct 8 06:28:37 UTC 2016

Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

     Thanks much for replying!

> [...]
> > base/stable/10 and then tried to run buildworld again, but got the same
> > error.
> > I've been scratching my head over this for hours, but must be missing
> > something
> > simple.
> >      I have ccache installed and have been using it for a fairly long time
> > now.
> > My /etc/src.conf contains just two lines:
> >
> > PORTS_MODULES=multimedia/cuse4bsd-kmod sysutils/pefs-kmod #
> > emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
> > WITH_LLDB=yes
> >
> > My /etc/make.conf is rather longer, so I'll append it following .sig below.
> >
> >      Here's what happens.
> >
> > Script started on Thu Oct  6 23:31:47 2016
> > hellas# cd /usr/src
> > hellas# nice make buildworld
> > Unknown modifier '['
> >
> > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1113: Malformed conditional
> > (${BUILDKERNELS:[)
> > Unknown modifier '['
> >
> > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1122: if-less endif
> > Unknown modifier '['
> >
> > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1144: Malformed conditional
> > (${BUILDKERNELS:[)
> > Unknown modifier '['
> >
> > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1161: if-less endif
> > Unknown modifier '['
> >
> > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1183: Malformed conditional
> > (${BUILDKERNELS:[)
> > Unknown modifier '['
> >
> > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1190: if-less endif
> > bmake: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > make: stopped in /usr/src
> > hellas# exit
> > exit
> >
> > Script done on Thu Oct  6 23:37:00 2016
> >
> >      This just started happening after my machine had been down for a
> > couple
> > of days after a hang that damaged stuff in /usr/home.  I had already
> > restored
> > /usr/local from backups before narrowing down the weird behavior I was
> > seeing
> > in wmaker to /usr/home corruption.  So /usr/home has now been restored to
> > good condition, too, but perhaps I need to restore something else as well.
> > This mess was part of my justification to myself for the fresh checkout of
> > /usr/src, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference in the
> > buildworld
> > failure.
> >      If anyone else can see what's wrong and clue me in, I'd be grateful.
> > I'm subscribed to the digest for this list, so please Cc: me directly, so
> > I'll get replies right away.
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> >  [stuff deleted --SB]
>
> Could something else have gotten corrupted?
>
> > ls -i /bin/[
> 65795 /bin/[
> > ls -i /bin/test
> 65795 /bin/test
>
> The values (inode) will not match these, but must be identical.

[hellas] 23 % ls -lgiF /bin/\[ /bin/test
131557 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  11664 Aug 23 05:16 /bin/[*
131557 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  11664 Aug 23 05:16 /bin/test*

So no, that's not the problem.

> '[' needs to be a hard link to test. I'm suspicious that something happened
> to this link. If this is the case, other corruption may have occurred, but,
> if you can re-create the hardlink (ln /bin/test /bin/[) and successfully
> make buildworld  and make buildkernel, it's likely that you can reinstall
> the system and the system will be fine. Of course, things could be damaged
> in the installed ports, too.

     Unfortunately, no, I can't re-install, or at least not without restoring
/usr (and probably / and /usr/obj) to before the damage, assuming I can figure
out exactly between which backups the damage occurred, which may not have been
at the time of the hang.  I already had a recently built /usr/obj and tried to
install its contents.  The failure of installkernel was how I discovered the
problem.
     So I'm still stuck.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *