nfs_getpages: error 4

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 16:27:55 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 05:24:26PM +0300, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:

> > Again, error 4 is EINTR so you could disable both "soft" and "intr" options for test.
>

> "soft" is meaningless in such setup, because "file system calls will fail after retrycnt round trip timeout intervals" but "The default is a retry count of zero, which means to keep retrying forever".
>
> If I understand "intr" correctly, it matters only when server becomes unresponsive, that is "server is not responding" message should be in my logs.  But I have no such a message.

The intr NFS mount option allows signals to interrupt NFS waits for the
RPC responses.  This is almost certainly the reason for the EINTR error
you get from the pager.

You should at last get the
vm_fault: pager read error, pid ...
messages as well.  Is this true ?  The end result would be SIGSEGV
delivered to the process.

OTOH, I do not quite understand why did your threads requesting page-in
fall into the wait for a free page.  I assume that there is enough free
pages in the system ?