Upgrading boot from GPT(BIOS) to GPT(UEFI)

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 17 14:38:23 UTC 2016

On 16 Dec 2016, at 23:56, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Dimitry Andric <dim at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Yes, this is almost exactly what I have done on a machine that was
>> originally installed with gptzfsboot on the first partition, which was
>> 512K.  Since all the partitions on this SSD were aligned to 1M, I
>> reduced the size of the first partition to 224K, freeing up a hole of
>> exactly 800K for an EFI partition:
> You likely want to carve out more like 50MB instead of 800k for UEFI
> partition. 800k is the minimum, but it also precludes many things you
> may need to do with UEFI applications down the line.

Well, this is the default boot1.efifat size.  If you think 50MB is more
reasonable, the boot1.efifat size should have a corresponding size.

That said, as long as there are almost no such UEFI applications, I'm
not bothering.  Besides, even if there were, I don't have any interest
in the UEFI "ecosphere" as-is.  I see it as an ugly-but-necessary
pre-bootloader environment only.

-Dimitry